"Following the Herd"
Lambertville, New Jersey
Disclaimer: I really DO love Autumn. Truth-be-told, it's my favorite season of the year. I am blessed to live in a part of the country that truly experiences the changes all four seasons of the year offer. Mother Nature is kinda awesome like that here in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. But as I sat down this morning to pay my bills (which is apparently when I do my best pondering because WHO wants to think about bills?), I realized there are a few things that kinda rub me the wrong way about Fall, despite my love for the season. The same could be said for my Better-Half, so Autumn is in excellent company as far as I'm concerned. I mean, you live with something long enough you are bound to find little things you'd really like to fine tune. So today, I bring you the top five reasons why Fall is great, yet not perfect. I just look at this as my little way to help Fall out, by giving it some goals for self-improvement:
1. Property Taxes! Yep, wrote out that monstrosity of a check this morning. WHY is that due in October? Either the deadline should be moved, or Christmas should be moved...because it's hard for me to give to the levels I WANT to in December, when I've already given to the levels I DON'T want to in October.
2. Open-toed boots. What am I missing here, the whole concept is warped in my mind. The least of my questions is..."you mean I need a pedicure 365 days of the year now?" Fashion faux pas Fall!
3. Cooler weather means...jeans. Which also means that I didn't wear shorts for the first 3/4 of summer because my legs were too pale and ghostly. Now that I've finally gotten them tanned so that every little flaw doesn't show, it gets too cold to show them? I'd give Fall a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
4. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. BUT Pumpkin Pie? Kinda gags me. Altho, I'd gladly sub in pumpkin-spiced coffee, and pumpkin flavored beers instead.
5. Candy Corn. Toothache just looking at it. Plus, who in their right mind wears orange AND yellow together at the same time?!? Lest you think candy corn is just for kids, I actually took a gander at "Candy Corn Vodka" in the State Store the other day (State Store = Pennsylvania's antiquated method for alcohol disbursement). Which means, I can now have a toothache AND a hangover at the same time while drinking a martini.
Fall...I love ya. But you gotta little work to do.
Here's where I'm linking up today ..."The Party's On"
Please join me on Sundays for Song-ography.
This week's song title is Bruce Hornsby's "Look Out Any Window"