November 1, 2012

Just a bunch of BS...

B.S. (Before Sandy) I dropped Thing #3 off at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly for some classes.  It was Saturday morning, and the Weather Channel told me I had a few hours before raindrops would start falling on my head courtesy of Sandy.  With three hours to kill, and "James Dean" in hand, I headed over to Boathouse Row in Philly.  Because?  Well, I figured maybe I wouldn't be around ENOUGH water for the next few days????



"Boathouse Row"
Philadelphia, PA


I adore Boathouse Row.  It is a National Historic Landmark sight that sits on the east bank of the Schuylkill River in Philly. It consists of 15 boathouses that house social and rowing clubs, along with allllllll their equipment.  








Each boathouse has it's own history, and all of them date back at least a century. Philly's Boathouse Row is considered the center of the United States rowing/sculling scene.  Members compete at every level:  local clubs, high schools, colleges and international.






Honestly, you have to try REAAAAAALLY hard to pass by this section of the Schuylkill River and NOT see rowing.  Luckily, this Saturday morning I hit the jackpot....a regatta.  And since I'm talkin' some serious B.S. here.....the trees still held all their gorgeous autumn colors.  I think I got them captured in their last few hours of brilliance before they were "Gone With the Wind".






As long as I've lived in Philly, I have only admired these buildings from the outside.  There is just an "upper class" aura about them.  Sort of like you are trespassing on a different world when you walk by these pieces of history  So when a hurricane is impending, and your hobby is boats, and you sit on a river...you've got to move these babies inside...





And in the process of doing so,  I got to peak thru the opened door into a different world...












They sure were all working hard to move all the shells and equipment inside, and to shore up the houses B.S.



"At the Start"
Boathouse Row
Philadelphia, PA


And then the raindrops began to fall.


--Kathy

linked to:  This or That ThursdayThursday Favorite Things,  Photo Story Friday, Perspectives Photo ChallengeFavorite Photo FridayFinding Serendipity




19 comments:

  1. Thank you, once again...for bringing me HOME. I LOVE these shots - and anyone who knows this place, loves these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots, but the bottom line that I am wondering is.... are these still here, and do they look the same. Definitely hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite parts of the city!! I just love it all lit up at night like gingerbread houses! And oo I just love the Walnut Street theater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos - the fall foliage is (was?) spectacular! And your "BS" made me laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What inspiring shots - those fall color shots are amazing. Continue to hope all is well with you & that everyone in your world is safe. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I LOVED every.single.picture! You have a gift for photography...just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those trees were awesome! I was lucky enough to have some business trips that took me to Delaware in Oct/Nov years ago. I just LOVED the colors. We don't get that too much here. There's mostly evergreens. Before our leaves have a chance to do anything some wind storm or Sandy comes along and blows them off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Gorgeous fall colors in the background too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, how fortunate you were to have camera in hand. Fabulous shots, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots, Kathy...time well spent capturing these wonderful sites. Hopefully it looks the same today as it did then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you and James spent some quality time together before the storm. That's a wonderful shot of the archway/ bridge with those gorgeous autumn colour trees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many amazing photos. I LOVE the beautiful colors on the trees. You captured it perfectly.

    Happy Friday...

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful place. The colors of the buildings and the trees are fabulous. I hope you survived Sandy. We get hurricanes down here so often that we don't think twice about what to do. But unlike the Northeast where it has turned cold for people with no electricty to warm up, ours is usually the opposite, hot and humid with no AC. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are such pretty photos Kathy. The trees are breathtaking colors. Thanks for sharing a part of your city with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots! I hope all is well after Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome pic of the boats going under the bridge and after they crossed! The fall colors are so inviting! Simply gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  17. you have an amazing way of sharing my friend. Thank you for joining in the fun at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Happy Tuesday wishes xo P.S. sorry I'm so late visiting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great series on BHR!!! I usually think of rowing as a summer sport, but apparently not. You captured a perfect fall in Philly. . . before it blew away with Sandy.

    ReplyDelete