July 19, 2012

Rocky Mountain High...

Well, how about a city street IN the Rocky Mountains?  Took the Madre' to Denver last weekend to visit her brother.  After dropping her off for a day of familial bonding, my sis and I took to the streets of Denver with our trusty side-kicks James Dean and ????? (come on Karen, name that traveling companion of yours, will ya?).  We wound up on the 16th Street pedestrian Mall.




WHY is it everywhere I travel it is stinkin' hot?  First Cincy and now Denver.  Who would have thunk I'd need to go to the Mediterranean in a couple of weeks to cool off??!!??  And seriously folks, whoever says "but it's a DRY heat" I'm just gonna have to give a Philly Italian Wooter Ice to cool them off because they are apparently suffering from heat stroke....but it's a DRY heat stroke.  At least the brilliant sun makes for some cool reflections.




The 16th Street Mall has a very eclectic smattering of bronze sculptures dotting it's landscape.




I have to say the stiltwalkers were my favorite.  Something about the juxtiposition of country kids playing on stilts in the midst of an urban backdrop captivated me.  Plus, they were smart because it was too dang hot to put your feet directly on the sidewalk.




Not exactly sure HOW this beauty was able to catch a breeze on this sweltering day...but good for her!!!  Apparently HER hair holds up better than mine in the heat.







And I just can't get America's "Horse With No Name" out of my head after this sculpture.   HATE when that happens.  Well, better than John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High"...






Soooo many photos to get thru, soooo little time before my next adventure.  Yikes, what is a full memory card to do????  More Denver nuggets tomorrow (Get it??!!??  Apparently still suffering the effects of a mile-high altitude).

--Kathy

linked to:



thursday-favorites-blog-hop-KCB.jpg







17 comments:

  1. Love the reflection pictures!! You are such a traveler this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and entertaining commentary.. Thanks for the smile! Keep them coming. Especially like the last one!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos...!! I've never been to Colorado but would love to visit one day. The photo of the building/reflections is spectacular! So glad you had a good time, despite the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a great post. Love the commentary as usual, and your images are terrific. Love the kids on stilts, my favorite as well. Happy Traveling!! Don't come to Chicago, stinkin' hot here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was hot in Colorado? I can't imagine that. And I agree about dry heat. Heat is heat. How were those wildfires? I haven't heard the news recently to see if they are all under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the statues, Kathy. Great shots! I'd love to talk to the person who chose the children on stilts. I bet that would make an interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, that's my neck of the woods! I'm about an hour north of Denver. Sorry about the stinkin' hot part--at least things weren't still on fire by the time you arrived. And I so agree that the dry heat things is ridiculous. People used to say that when we lived in Arizona. Hot is hot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. My little traveler!!!! Super shots. That bronze beauty with her hair is just breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these shots! and especially love the reflections on the glass buildings. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always fun to see travel pics, geez tomorrow will be week five of my vacation pics! haha Never been to Denver but they do have some smashing great statues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Dry" heat ~ my arse! While in San Francisco a few years ago they told me it never gets over 80 & never gets humid!! HA! It was 108 with a major layer of humidity.........I live in Michigan, I know HOT & I know HUMIDITY!
    Silly people.....hot is HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool photos. Love all the fun perspectives and those stilt walkers are darling ;D Loved seeing these!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the reflections. We're going through one of our coldest winter down here...I'd be happy to have some of that heat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe it was stinkin' hot in Colorado too! Geez. I love the statute with the blowing hair. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living in Las Vegas, I know all about that DRY HEAT.. When you get wind added to the dry heat its like a really hot blow dryer.. Love your photos of Denver. I would love to visit there sometime.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  16. All are great, but I esp like the reflections. Of course, your narrations are icing on the cake. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel you on the heat, because its sweltering here in PA. These pics are divine. I love the skyscrapers one the best being a native of New York. They reminded me of the twin towers which I miss seeing every time I visit.

    ReplyDelete