September 14, 2016

Now she knows...


Dear Daughter,

If I could give you one thing in life,
I would give you the ability to see yourself through my eyes.
Only then would you realize how very special you are to me...



"Now She Knows"
Good Samaritan Hospital
(one day old)
Cincinnati, Ohio



...And now, I hope you know.
The kind of love you probably thought you understood, 
truly didn't until you became a mother yourself.
The utterly astounding realization that this kind of love couldn't exist...
until your daughter did.

As you look into the eyes of your daughter, 
realize I do the same with you my daughter.
When you see how profoundly special your daughter is, 
trust that I see the same in you my daughter.
You are taking the first steps in sincerely comprehending the magical depth
of a mother's love for her daughter.

Making the decision to have a child is life changing.  
It is to decide forever to relinquish control of your heart.
To allow your heart to wander where it is unprotected, because it now travels with your daughter.
It is joyous.  It is scary.
There are times you are in total control of your heart.  
But there are also times your heart walks out the door, 
and you won't breathe until it returns home safe and unharmed.
It's a blessing we are oblivious to this side effect of motherhood until we are fully committed to the journey.  
It's God's little "gotcha" joke on moms, to remind us of whom truly IS in control.

There are so very many reasons I love my little grand daughter.
But the greatest of these is her existence allows me to give you the one gift I've wanted to give you your entire life.
For you to see yourself through my eyes,
and to realize how extraordinarily special you are to me.
I hope you take the time to look.

You are my sunshine,

Mom







Here's where I "link up" today

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful image, and lovely thoughts expressed as well.
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/09/los-viejos.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special to watch your daughter become a mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so very beautiful! Love the words and the image is sheer beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post to share with a daughter! I have two grown daughters with children so they would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that's beautiful Kathy. The whole thing should go in one ginormous frame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written for a lovely daughter and your adorable granddaughter. You're a lucky mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How ever did you get through this with not being able to see through the tears in your eyes? If you didn't cry while writing this, I did for you. Beautiful - beautiful - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Tugged at my heart strings. The bond between a mother and daughter definitely is something special. I remember seeing my daughters hold their new born babes in their arms. It truly changes you forever! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off congratulations Grandma & of course the new parents. Babies are such a joy in life. They grow up so fast so take in and savor every precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! And the picture is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful words and gorgeous photo! So sweet!
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/09/camping-at-lake.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I remember when my son was born and looking at my Mum and everything about her suddenly making sense

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word, that just brought tears to my eyes! I have been missing my own daughter lately and hating how far away we are and that I can't just hop on a plane and go for a long weekend. It is so true what you say. I remember very vividly coming home from the hospital and thinking, "wow, this is how my mom feels!" It is an empowering realization.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, so beautiful... I mean wow, tears!!

    And, congratulations! I am behind, so very behind.

    Lisa @ LTTL

    ReplyDelete