September 7, 2015

"Song-ography...


"No more Monday PTA's
No carpools, or soccer games,
Your work is done.
Now you've got time that's all your own.
You've been waitin' for so long,
For those days to come

...Then they do.


"Then They Do"
IPhone


I still haven't figured out how it is possible that the days could often be so long, yet the years always so short.  It's one of the many conundrums of parenthood.  Just don't blink.  No matter how much you want to! And certainly don't wish your time away no matter how bad of a day you've had while cavorting in the Kingdom of Parenting. Because before you know it, what you've been waiting for is sleeping in your baby's bedroom, while your baby is sleeping in that great big world spreading her wings.  Time for yourself.  

Quiet.  Missing the noise, the shoes laying on the steps, and even the dirty dishes plunked in the kitchen sink that I always nagged about.  Despite the unbalanced feeling this inflicts upon me,  I can't help feel but blessed. Because the dizziness means all those dreams I dreamt to come true for my Things?  Then they did.  With the last one safely off at college, they are now all living their lives the way they want to (I try not to take it personally that 2 outta 3 find it more comfortable to do so long distance!).


And that's how it is,
It's just quiet in the mornin',
Can't believe how much you miss,
All they do and all they did.
You want all the dreams they dreamed of to come true,
Then they do."

-Then They Do (Trace Adkins)


With the last Thing leaving the nest, I had a few days of 'now whats'?!?  Of navigating unfamiliar territory.  The Better Half and I had gotten pretty use to playing second fiddle to the Things needs. Passing ships in the night at times.  So we have had to learn how to "share" space again.  And those who know me know that I do not "share" well.  The home has been my domain.  But I AM learning to share...I'd give myself a solid grade of B- so far, but with a teacher's notation of "trying REALLY hard".

And the I had an epiphany and believed I am going to be just fine.  When did I know that?  Probably when my sadness that Thing #3 had gone off to college quickly morphed into JEALOUSY that Thing #3 was IN COLLEGE!  Oh to relive those glorious years.  Suffice it to say she put the kibosh on me spending weekends on the floor of her dorm room with her, even tho I spent MANY a night on a dorm room floor back in the day.  Been there, done that, got the beer stained t-shirt to prove it .

When you send your Things off to college you hope and pray they acclimate quickly, make friends, don't miss you TOO much.  And "then they do". And you are both blessed AND a bit ticked off they don't seem miss you AT ALL.  How do I know this is true?  Oh the blessing of "Face Time".  I've only done Face Time ONCE.  The other night.   I didn't even know WHAT was happening on my IPad when the Face Time "want to chat" message started ringing.  I finally figured out it was Thing #3 AND how to actually answer the request before she hung up on me.  And then I quickly realized the REAL reason for the Face Time request...she wanted to see the DOGS.  Yep, be careful what you wish for while traipsing thru the Kingdom of Parenthood.

Yeah, I think she is gonna be alright.  Yeah, I think I'm gonna be alright too.  Then WE do!


**********

Another Tuesday already?  That was a quick week.  Thanks for visiting and linking up with Song-ography where the rules are pretty simple:

Song/Lyrics + Photo(s) = Song-ography

I will be by to visit everyone who joins in, and I encourage those of you who visit to stop by and say hi to a few of your fellow Song-ographers.







 
(Click on photo for a full description.)


8 comments:

  1. I'm envious of your wonderful creativity...song-ography! I love country music, but must admit that music through the years doesn't stay in my brain! ;-) As for the empty nest feeling: it happened to me so many years ago, but every so often I have terrible twinges of missing our two sons---one on the other side of the state (and married) while his elder brother is way across the US in NYC! (This is a terrific self-portrait....I'm assuming it is you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this song but how perfect for your photo and your reflections!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 kids later - enjoy the quiet and each other! You'll be earning an a+ in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to yourself. Really? I'm still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done great with your things. And now you will be / are doing great together alone with your other half (except for the times when you'll be out and about traveling). Great song-ography come-back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine has acclimated quickly, made lots of friends, and doesn't miss me at all. I wouldn't want it any other way...for him. :) But does he have to be so happy about it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard sending them off all the while at the same time wanting to hang on to them with all your might - and the last one really makes it sink in. And let me just say: Facetime is a blessing (used it with Allyson in Japan on my commute to work this morning). Great choice of song for this point

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is making me teary and counting my few years left before my high schooler goes off to college.

    ReplyDelete