March 20, 2012

Spring time in Paris...

Well, it's springtime in Philly at least...but this was actually taken in the fall,  re-edited and tweaked.  ARGH, as much as I love how textures can enhance a photograph I have a REAL problem when applying textures to black and white photography.  As "luck" would have it, that is the prompt on this week's Texture Tuesday link up.  Just shoot me now.  I spent waaaaaay too much time this morning trying to come up with a submission (at least I got to the gym, but that's about ALL I've done).   Where I run into a problem is that one of the reasons I love black and white photography is that it allows me to capture exactly what I want to focus on...without distraction of color or extraneous focal diversions.  I run into a roadblock because when I apply textures to b/w it always seems to negate the whole focus of the photo to moi, with distractions. But that is just me, like I said yesterday...I'm often off kilter.

So after spending all morning working on some lovely black and whites of beautiful florals, and getting a headache from banging my head on the computer screen out of frustration...I decided to scrap the whole thing and head to the archives.  And just to prove that I CAN multi-task (when I WANT to), I opted for a photo to re-visit and re-edit that I could also use for a new link-up I'm joining over at The Art of Capturing the Moment which is focusing on the sky in landscape photography.  And YES this was an incredible moment when I captured this cityscape and sky...so winner, winner, "poulet" dinner (DANGIT, I forgot to thaw that chicken I wanted to cook for dinner tonight).



"We'll Always Have Paris"


This was actually quite a gorgeous photo in color.  The trees lining the street were a brilliant coppery orange.  But what "I" saw as my focal point was the Eiffel Tower and the ominous cloud cover....both of which were naturally black/white/grey.  By converting the photo to black and white, it allowed me to put the focus where I wanted it to be, without the distraction of the trees.  Yes, it seems to always be rainy in Paris.  But isn't it just beautifully perfect that way?

Au voir,

--Kathy  




21 comments:

  1. Wow...I'm sorry you banged your head, but the end result was worth it for me as the viewer...lol! This is gorgeous...I'd LOVE to see the full-color version, too - the copper trees sound beautiful, especially when contrasted against the clouds. I was in Paris at 19, but the only photo I had of the Eiffel Tower was with my ex-boyfriend...and now that photo is gone (I'm thinking I tossed it post-breakup...lol). Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beuatiful image. I lived in Paris for a bit and this is exactly how I remember it, you've done a great job. I think the b&w gives it a lovely timeless quality and the texture looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how cool is it to be able to say "I lived in Paris for a bit" :). "I lived in Philly for a bit" just doesn't live up to that, haha. And I agree, the BW does give it a timeless aspect. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Well, I'm sending you some virtual advil for your headache, then again a glass of wine might be better? It is lunchtime....

    This is just beautiful Kathy, and I love it in the black and white, well I haven't seen it in color but I don't feel the need to. I just love all the texture from the buildings too! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous! Good job with the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow, that is STUNNING! As good as any postcard or poster I've seen of that scene. You should sell this as a print for sure! it is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Paris and your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly beautiful, and you succeeded really well - the B&W edit now emphasizes the Eiffel tower, it's solid black color really catches your eye...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous shot...the black n white looks like an itching to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! Gorgeous!! Makes me want to ditch class and hop a plane!! I would love love love to see Paris one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful! Wow! Almost makes me want to go there! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is absolutely gorgeous! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow is right. I also would love to see the color version, but this black and white is over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know...Paris is on my bucket list...this is gorgeous and I want a whole wall full of Eiffel Tower shots that I took! this would be gorgeous on canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is a lovely image and beautiful editing...visiting from kim klassen's TT blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's absolutely stunning!! You did a fantastic job

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you did Paris justice! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This photo is stunning! I love how you describe using black and white and how it works with this photo. Thank you for sharing! I would love if you would like up with Tones on Tuesday and share your black and white thoughts :o).

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOve this photo.. It should me a post card..

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, I miss Paris. Perfect in B/W.

    ReplyDelete
  20. what an amazing shot... love it. love the subtle texture, too. gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete