December 27, 2011

"Geez Louise"...

...a mild oath used on Christmas morning 
so as to not be stricken down due to blasphemy.



So when did THIS happen?  There's only one explanation for the cruel reality that hit me Christmas morning.  My "Things" are getting old.  The Christmas morning anticipation and excitement is waning, and losing out to the greater desire for more shut eye. Which can only mean ONE thing..."I" must be getting even OLDER!  Bah humbug, that was NOT on my list to Santa this year. No way, no how, no fair, no deal...can I take what is behind Door #2 instead?  

I woke up Christmas morning, sans alarm clock,  all by lonesome.  No "Things" jumping in my bed, shaking my shoulders, or bugging me to hurry up.  Just the sunshine on my face and the realization that Christmas morning had dawned...






My Better Half didn't even wake up.  Actually...the DOGS didn't stir either!  Soooo, I put on a sweatshirt, brushed my teeth, pinned up my hair and skipped downstairs. Yes I skipped.  It's Christmas morning after all!  I figured I could use the few minutes pre-turmoil for some fine-tuning.  I turned the lights on the Christmas trees, put on some Christmas music, re-arranged the gifts and spread them out so it looked like Santa was REALLY nice to us this year (it's all in the presentation you know!) ....






And then I waited.  And waited...to hear some stirring upstairs.  Maaaaybe the music wasn't loud enough. So I cranked it up and kicked back to relax until my Things would soon come bounding down the stairs...annnnnny minute now....







Hmmmm.  Since the gifts were already re-organized and I was getting bored,  I checked the stockings.  Yep, they were off their hangers which meant...






They were loaded with "stuff".  Stuff my Things and Better Half would love if....ONLY THEY WERE AWAKE!!!!






The smell of fresh coffee wafting thru the house, I brewed a pot.  That would wake ME up if I wasn't ALREADY awake and killing time by MYSELF!  Did I mention NO ONE ELSE was awake yet?  Seriously, you'd think if nothing else all the darn clicking of my camera would wake those buggers up!...






And then, I had a genuine, honest to goodness epiphany ..."patience is highly over-rated"!!!!!  So back upstairs I stomped.  No skipping, been there done that.   And "I" jumped in my kids' beds and shook them by their shoulders.  Revenge is sweet.  

Doesn't Thing #3 look excited to be downstairs with moi???  (FYI, she perked up once she saw a trip to a Broadway show was in her near future courtesy of Santa.  Who knew Santa liked musical theatre?) 






In retrospect, I did find there is a definite  advantage to such a late start to our Christmas day...I could have a glass of wine by time we were done opening up the presents and not be considered a lush...






Role reversal.  My Things are old enough now that they are giving me payback for all those years I made THEM wait patiently while I tried to grab a few extra minutes of shut eye Christmas morning. Hmmmpf!  They might be getting older BUT...I'm still young at heart.   Ho-Ho-Ho.



--Kathy




28 comments:

  1. Too fun! I love that you went up and gave them a taste of their own medicine. :-) Love the wine glass shot as well. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!

    Kathy, that is hilarious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny, the hubs and I didn't get up until at least 10:00 and then we had to wait for the kids, but we all didn't get home from church until 12:45 and it was probably another hour before we all made it to our beds . . . my son did have to go jump on my daughters bed, but it wasn't until he turned OFF the ceiling fan that got her attention! haha

    Love all the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in the same situation with my husband, he was still asleep and i was downstairs twiddling my thumbs! I think I'd have started on the wine even earlier if I were you :O)) Great pics, love the wine glass shot and those slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really lovely photos! My kids were awake, but let us sleep until 10:00 a.m. with no complaints...really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are always early risers -- Christmas morning was no exception.

    I love the chronicle of your Christmas morning. Very creative and so funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One year my husband and I threw shoes into our oldest daughters room to get her to WAKE UP all ready! (she was only 5 at the time) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Christmas story! Darn kids...who gave them permission to grow up?

    Nice photots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    Great snapshots! Love them all. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots. I love the wine glass shot. It is too funny that you got your revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love ya....really I do. And it seems you and James Dean had some fun with those dreamy bokeh filled Christmas light images. I think my brother and sis in law who were up at 5:30 would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. and I say "Geez Louise" too and forgot to say that wine shot is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...those were just some incredible pictures!

    Sounds like a wonderful Christmas morning to me.

    Happy New Year♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was the first one up too. I actually couldn't sleep past 4:00 so I had a while to wait, but they all joined me by 8:00. At least you put your waiting time to good use. The photos are amazing! Love all the beautiful bokeh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it is amazing how things change with the growing up years. Loved your story and all those great bokeh shots....geez louise!!! Enjoy your time with your "things"!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so funny. We get up around 7 & have our coffee together- then we go get the kids around 7:45. The girls are always awake but we make them wait for their brother for as long as possible without it being torture- he sleeps until after 8 on most days- so Christmas- we have to wake him :) I love not getting up too early - I can really enjoy the day more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how absolutely delightful! We have no children at home anymore....so we went to church, went to my sister's annual brunch, and came home at 2 to open our gifts. It just isn't the same! (It had to be better than our oldest son's Christmas...alone in Brooklyn. He spent the day going to movies. Made me sad.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely detail, so nice, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL... Got to love it when you can get one back on your kids.
    Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LMAO...Oh Kathy....what a great post. Poor you having to wait. I always hated those shifts on Christmas. It's always toughest on us moms! Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE that last shot, I love that you can see the reflection of the tree in the wine glass! I love your 8:57am shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally understand about the role reversal - my things sleep in now too. Beautiful photos - so very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great post.. Sounds like you had a great Christmas my friend.. Your photos look amazing as usual..

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very humorous, I definitely liked the years where it seemed like I was the one in control. I'm not into the waiting around either.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it....I am happy to say my thing 3 still jumped on the bed Christmas morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your post had me laughing out loud, I loved the story of it and the photos! The wine glass with bokeh shot is stunning. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats, I picked you as a favorite from my Holiday Bokeh Party!

    ReplyDelete