November 22, 2011

Gratitude: Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...



"Changes"
Philadelphia, PA


Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  And not because I was born on Thanksgiving, believe me I've had a lifetime of "Man, you must have been one BIG turkey" jokes!  But because it really is one of the few holidays that isn't over-commercialized and we celebrate what was actually intended...gratitude.  So this week, in addition to counting down the days til I get my birthday present (a new camera!!!), I'm also counting down some of the things I am grateful for (BESIDES my new camera).  

I  love change.  Sometimes not necessarily the actual "change" itself (it CAN be downright depressing)...but definitely the process of change.  Like, the change of seasons.  My family will be the first to tell you that I can't STAND winter.  The cold, the cold, the cold...did I mention the cold?!?!?  And the dark, the dark, the dark...yes I DID mention the dark!  But as much as I envy my friends who live in warm weather and sunlight while I'm putting on an extra layer of long-underwear and turning on my lights at 4 p.m....it truly is a momentary feeling.  Quite honestly, I think I love and appreciate the spring and fall so much because I have lived thru the frigid winter and the sweltering summer.  And as much as I envy my Floridian friends while I'm shovelling snow, I feel badly they do not get to breathe in the beauty of a gorgeous fall day... I just keep repeating that mantra with each shovel of that wet slop I'm heaving.  I've never been able to grasp the concept of how something can be truly appreciated  if it is considered "normal".   I need the valleys to savor the peaks.  I need the change.  I need a reason to change out my wardrobe every few months!  I get bored!

One of my favorite quotes is "Nothing will change, if you change nothing".  I don't even know WHERE I heard that.  Might have been a Snapple cap OR fortune cookie.  But I am grateful for change.  It takes a life operating at a steady beat...and gives it some rhythm.  Ch-ch-ch-changes...


--Kathy









11 comments:

  1. I love the changing seasons, but I don't love hot summers. I also love your photo.

    As I read your post about girlfriends and losing a friend, I nodded in understanding. That was a beautifully penned post, real and heart tugging.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... I know what you mean - I do like the seasons, even if I hate being cold!
    I love this photo and the very simple edit is so lovely.
    Have a lovely birthday/Thanksgiving! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful image and your edits and texture really suit it. Enjoyed reading your post! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say "Happy Birthday" too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your beautiful picture as well as reading all of your post. Happy Birthday! It must be so exciting to get a new camera. By the way, loved the quote you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely fall/Thanksgiving photo. I love this time of year. I was born near Thanksgiving so I always feel like 'this is my season'. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the changing seasons but I am not looking forward to our coming hot summer.

    Love the soft focus and colors in this lovely image.

    Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! What camera are you getting? That's a beautiful image and lovely processing. I love the autumn and winter, I'm a cold weather person and I love getting out and about with my camera at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photo is timeless, Kathy. Great capture.

    And Happy (early) Birthday! Can't wait to see what you do with your new gift.

    I find the older I get, the less I tolerate the cold and dark months. They effect my mood. I want them to be over as soon as they start. I know that's not a good attitude to have, and I'm working on it! :)

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somehow I missed this post! I'm somewhat allergic to change, but I'm getting better! After growing up in the Chicago area and now living in Texas I can say without a doubt that I do NOT miss heaving that snow! ; ) And you are going to find this downright hilarious, but if it does snow or we get ice, everything and I mean everything pretty much shuts down.

    Hope you had a most wonderful Birthday my friend and I can't wait to see what you do with your new camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated BD; and, what a wonderful image and processing. thank you, kareninkenai (TT)

    ReplyDelete