August 30, 2011

Out of the Blue...

Not sure where I heard this, but someone told  me the bluest skies occur after a hurricane.  I thought that might be an old sailor's tale, but it looks like they weren't exaggerating.


Black Eyed Susan

Beads of sweat glimmer to the ground
Golden tears shimmer, soft and round
Throwing small shadows
I catch those that fall at my feet
Black-Eyed Susan dancing in the breeze







"Orange is the happiest color," Frank Sinatra (really?)

And one more Black-Eyed Susan photo for a new venture..."Texture Tuesdays" with Kim Klassen.  This week's theme is "orange".  I'm not sure I EVER combined the colors blue and orange together before in either my wardrobe or decorating.

Actually, I do remember my Oma knitting my sister and me sweaters for Christmas one year when I was in elementary school.  We opened up our presents Christmas morning and it's been a family joke ever since.  There in glorious techni-color were MY olive green and orange sweater, and my SISTER'S blue and orange one.  Gag!  The joke was that my mom promptly unravelled the yarn from both sweaters and recycled it into some other craft project.  Those sweaters and color palettes have been our family's joke and our measuring stick for everything considered in bad taste since that Christmas morning.

But these flowers are more of a yellow-ISH orange.  After last week's earthquake AND hurricane...I'm just gonna leave the outdoor decor and color palette to Mother Nature's very good judgment, and not my Oma's.





--Kathy

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful, especially with the bluest blue sky backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these photos are so awesome!! great layerings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother Nature never makes a mistake. The colours are grand. V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sky is awesome! Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty blue sky as background, Kathy. I like it.

    I like your poem too. It took me a minute to catch the rhyme with the fifth, middle one, sticking in there. Good work!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes (a Columbo),
    Happy MidWeek Blues! :)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the perspective on these shots. These are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am truly amazed at how quickly you have learned to use texture and how beautifully you apply it. These photos are awesome. The color and clarity of the first group is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the skies looked so blue because I missed them so much! It sure was great to see those blue skies peep through. Glad I backed up all my textures before the PC died. I just have to get everything back on the new computer now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pictures. The crackerjack texture is one of my favs. Thanks for poppin' by and saying hi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific photos - great angles with superb light filtering through.
    I love your blog name!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos!! What a breathtaking blue the sky is! Love your texture use, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are an incredible blue! Really gorgeous! Nice work on the textures, too!

    I personally love blue and orange together, but not really in clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pictures, it's the layering techniques I don't understand. But it is working great for you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy, these shots are gorgeous!
    Thanks for visiting...so happy to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Kathy, I am so impressed with the wonderful texture images...just gorgeous. And that blue sky is amazing. We have had skies like that recently and it is always pure pleasure to photograph with that blue as the backdrop. Enjoy texturizing!! PS Linear burn is my fav too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the skies are really beautiful today :)

    your photos are astounding

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you textured these. I'm glad you're safe after the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It impresses me how you make the black eyes susan more beautiful and awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    Zip-line

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never heard that tale, but I can believe it's true - probably because the storm sends the stagnant air somewhere else on the planet. Neat textures.

    I use Silver Efex to do selective coloring, but photoshop and other app can do it just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great angles of your black-eyed susan. Well what canI say...beauty(color) is inthe eye of the beholder -for an artist everything is possible:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kim's texture works especially well with this image giving it a nice antiqued look.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really beautiful - blue skies, golden flowers - great textures!

    ReplyDelete