NOOO, my aversion to New Years Eve isn't because I wasn't invited to a party this year, or any year as a matter of fact. Truth be told, I am quite content to sit at home, curled up in front of the tv, eating cheese balls...and listening to a group of Thing #3's friends laughing in the basement. They will be here tonight because THEY weren't invited to parties either, but have one-upped moi by choosing to make one of their own. Little do they know...NO CHEESE BALLS for them!
I'm not good with "uncertainties". Where some find the concept exciting, I find it daunting and scary. And that is exactly how I've ALWAYS viewed New Years Eve...the eve of a new year = new uncertainties = new AAAARGH. 2013. What WILL happen this year? As I've grown older I've morphed my views on many things. But New Year's Eve is one of my last hold outs. I mean I can't change EVERYTHING, if I did the Better Half wouldn't even recognize me. And if THAT happened, who would I have to share my cheese balls with on New Years Eve (not that I share them or anything...okay something ELSE I haven't changed).
We have so many holidays I find ridiculous. New Year's Eve is the ridiculous-EST of the list:
10. Mother's Day (May 12) - Seriously? ONLY ONE FREAKIN' DAY???
9. Arbor Day (April 26) - Because even us Republicans long to be environmentalists ONE day of the year.
8. Take your Pet to Work Day (June 21) - I celebrate this EVERY day.
7. Flag Day (June 14) - AKA... "fly a U.S. flag made in China" Day
6. Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19) - AAAARRRRR why not?
5. Tax Day (April 15) - Soon to be known as "Jump off a Fiscal Cliff" day.
4. Ground Hog Day (February 2) - Gotta love a holiday where you never get the right response from a rodent.
3. National Bosses Day (October 16) - I guess we need a holiday to atone for all the smack we talk about our bosses the other 364 days of the year.
2. No Shave November (NOVEMBER, duh) - Sorry, I celebrate "No Shave September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May"... basically from Labor Day til Memorial Day.
1. New Years Eve (December 31) - Drunk people wearing silly hats trying to pretend they don't look drunk or silly. If only they had a bucket of jalapeno cheese balls to complete their look.
No fear, tomorrow will NOT be New Year's Eve...and all will be right in the world again. And until then I wish you all...